Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Mens Ladies Weekend Nationals Westmanstown

Good morning all

Last weekend the Mens and Ladies National Pairs and Teams events took place in Westmanstown Sports Centre. 72 tables in the pairs events on Saturday  and 70 teams on Sunday.
First of all I must state Westmanstown is a fine venue as not many places can take 72 tables in one room. As Westmanstown also feed most of us with a good value dinner 11 euro as someone made the mistake of leaving hot water teabags and cups at the entrance to the bridge venue. Bridge players like tea especially first thing in the morning so we drank.
However I must repeat a fabulous venue and room for all. We could probably go a few more tables but then we start encroaching on the eating tables but we would manage as we could push away some bridge tables during the break and setup some eating tables. No major panic there.

And they got the meals out by using upstairs and downstairs sittings.

Two small issues

1. The sun was dazzling a few players and some of the curtains were not fully doing their job.
This is only an issue for bridge players and I doubt it affects any other event Westmanstown might hold.

2. Possibly could do with a little more lighting but I did not hear anybody complain on this matter.

3. Need a supply of Mars bars for the Tournament Director as he is from the country and could not locate a shop. (CBAI need to think of this when selecting venues)

4. Results hands errors ... www.fob.ie

5. I learned some new things about tournament directing .. You cannot have a 2 suiter in your bidding that is 5-3 .... I also learned about Law 66 and how not to get to LAW 73.

6. Last night I was stuck for a partner and had no TD job to do so I unleashed the Great Mulall for the first time this year. It was too early in the year for the Great Mulall as for some reason he can dazzle in the Regent splashing around 65% scores but when he shows up in the stronger club of Malahide he seems intimidated despite standing well over 6 feet and being built like a brick train station loo. He thinks a 7 count is Fourth Suit Forcing and he does not understand that if he gives 3 ruffs the contract goes down more.. The idea of a stopper for NT is replaced by "Sure you might have had one or else they might not lead their suit. The good part is we managed to hold off the improving Derek Howe and the Wallace siblings.

7. A further piece of good news was the emergence of Kitty Quinn despite getting a grilling from the Great Mulall to post a 59% score and earn victory on the EW side of our event. No mean achievement for a woman who joined the Island Golf Club probably in the early 60s.
I think she is retired from Golf now. First out of 13 tables is no mean achievement for this stalwart of Malahide Regional Bridge Club.

8. I went to Fitzwilliam Tennis Club last week and will go next week again. I was pleasantly surprised to find I was running the inaugural Joe McHale Memorial. Joe was a great Irish bridge player and represented his country as late as 1993. I think he passed away in 2001. The last time I recall being on a Team with him was January 2001 when they had the hurricane out in Clonee.
I think I partnered Maurice Quinn husband of the above mentioned Kitty Quinn.

I was lucky enough to partner Joe on several occasions back in the 90s. Joe was a fine declarer.
I recall on one occasion in Kilkenny playing against the well known pairing of Eddie Fitzgerald and Michael McDonagh. Joe was declaring in 4H and the lads stopped in the middle of the play and clapped him. Joe had just performed an intra-finesse. I think some Brazilian international is famous for discovering the intra-finesse but I doubt Joe ever heard of him.
I have never since noticed opponents stop and congratulate declarer in the middle of a hand.
Well done to Eddie and Michael for that. Believe you me Joe knew what he was doing ..
He had a mannerism of twisting his hair when playing .. He also often chewed on a finger when thinking. The other declarer who is also a trials player of some repute these days managed 9 tricks in 2H+1. Joe managed just the overtrick in 4H.

Thanks
Eamon Galligan





No comments: