Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Galligan v Mr Noname 10 boards

Today  played a challenge on Bridgebase against a friend of mine.  I had a few bad boards but its no good if you play a few bad ones and then decide not to bother publishing the video.
Hopefully somebody will get something out of my videos.  I speak it as I see it. Most of the commentary is sensible stuff but sometime the dog barks.

So here is my video. Its about 30 minutes and is placed on youtube.

Bridge challenge video August 29th 2018

On Monday night I was sitting in the local drinking establishment after directing in another bridge club when Thomas arrived over. Now Thomas does not play bridge but loves card games. I was playing Wbridge5 daily tournament and was going quite well. However faded near the end and only managed 65% or so. However Thomas the non bridge player was still willing to point out my errors.
Its interesting listening to a non-bridge player talking about bridge as they use non-bridge terms.

Give him control .... means let him win the trick ..
Do the 12 Trump thing .... means bid a Small Slam
Do the 13 Trump thing ... means bid a Grand Slam
Do the Aces thing ... means do 4NT Blackwood

Last night we played some DON in the local and on one hand the chap who was wanting to play fast ended up holding 4 trumps and WE had shown out of trumps .. This means a claim is in order as his side cannot lose any trick but he kept on playing ..  I pointed out Nick look .. you are winning the rest of the tricks so just CLAIM and get on with next hand. Despite touting himself as a great DON player he did not grasp it for a minute or two.

Later on while walking home Declan the Donplayer indicated that he might partner up with Thomas for a game of bridge in a club sometime. We had 6 DON players last night.
............
Meanwhile the new bridge season is almost upon us .
Bray Bridge Congress takes place this weekend.  I am told the venue is limited to 65 tables so get your entries in. Some Bray person read my blog and told me this.  I think she is President of Bray Bridge Club. The legendary BJ O'Brien is now the premier player in Bray Bridge Club.

 I notice there was a large fire in Belfast yesterday in the Primark building. I was not watching the news yesterday but  think the Primark building is near the Spinning Wheel shop which is run by a Northern Ireland bridge player. He might not be able to sell any curtains for a few days.
 I looked up the Spinning Wheel on facebook and saw a Northern Ireland bridge player doing a raffle.

https://www.facebook.com/thespinningwheeluk/

Jeez  I not realise it was so close to Primark building. Looks from Facebook like its closed off for now.


No comments: