Monday, April 19, 2021

 Ireland Open Imps Pairs at 8pm every night on BBO. This is a good training session as well as competition. You won't leave this event without some story. 

https://www.bridgewebs.com/irelandimps/

Yesterday I estimated Team Sean Galligan might win the Cooper Cup. This morning when I looked at pdf of results I presumed they had withdrawn or some disaster had happened. It was a disaster ...they got done 20-0 by the Rob Bob Mob and PoB the robot team. 

Surely a robot team averaging 15 a match should not be allowed into an Area Master event. 

Meanwhile Team BJ continued a deep run of form to win the Telscher Trophy by a distance from a decent English squad. 

Last night I played in the Ireland imp pairs. I got a push into a making game from Sean Connors mate so that was good. 


Then I got lucky when 2 lads bid a 4-3 fit against me instead of the 5-3 4H contract.
However given I had great diamonds and they were going to ruff them I had to do a risky trump play. It went down in the end. 

Then I was in what looks like easy 4H but 2 of the declarers I looked at did not leave the master trump outstanding and died when the diamonds did not break. Galligan being an old Regent warrior learned this move 30 years ago. 
There was nothing like the Regent Bridge Club of the early 1990s and late 1980s ..you went in there to get a hiding and a lesson. Every night was a lesson. Sometimes in the leagues it was 100 imps of lesson. 
Where else could you takes on Pat Walshe and Rory Boland and as far as I recall it was Thomas Hanlon with Adam Mesbur ...get whacked by 115 imps and then Rory & Pat would go through the boards with you. 
And we were not dreadful players being  Paul Delaney Anna Onishuk and Karel de and Eamon that night. 
It was a privilege to be allowed into that Regent Bridge Club. 

My final exhibit of free imps was kitkat who launched into slam before she found her poor partner was a trick extra for his opening .. 


No comments: