Monday, August 17, 2020

Saturday night and Joe Walsh hauled his shell past a field of hares

 Saturday night saw the thoughtful tie wearing Joe Walsh slowly reach the podium. Joe makes other thoughtful merchants  Dunne and Delaney look like hares but some days the tortoise out runs the hares. Bridge is meant to be a thoughtful game ...all those trick 1 fast merchants do learn. 

Many years ago down in Mullingar I bid to 6NT or my partner put me in 6NT or something weird happened as we were missing AKQxxxxx ...8 spades .. and Joe duly led the spade Ace and all followed and Joe started to think and Jimmy/Charlie/Gerry  started to worry ... and slowly it dawned on JCG that Joe had SA bare. Suddenly it dawned on me that maybe something good might be happening and I might not go 5 or 6 off. Eventually Joe places a red pipped card on the table and JGS burst a gasket..

The play continued and someone might have discarded badly and my 6NT made. I don't actually recall who was Joes partner and it might have been Joe who was leaders partner. However if one plays enough bridge even the impossible will happen some day. The more you play the more days like this there are. 

Happily I have been the right side of most of these days 

Joe Walsh wins or poeny


No comments: