Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Mesbur +3 qualify to last 32 in Vanderbilt

Yesterday in Saint Louis Missouri if thats how it is spelt Team Moss whixh includes Adam Mesbur Nick Fitzgibbon and Thomas Hanlon won their round of 64 match over Team Barrett. However Team Barrett included some world  class Polish players Romanski and Kowalski.
Pat McDevitt who is defending his Mixed Pairs title qualified comfortably for the next session in about 40th place. This is a 4 session event .. I think 2 sessions are done already.
The Hamann Team got ambushed by the Granger squad but the Granger foursome are a very decent quartet that I have seen playing in various matches on BBO.

Folks
I draw your attention to the following link which describes how one of the best partnerships in the world
Levin Weinstein resolved and discussed bidding a slam off the trump ace

http://bridgewinners.com/article/view/behind-the-scenes-levin-weinstein-postmortem/

They both knew they did not do it on purpose ..

So today at the Nationals we have Team Moss backboned by stalwart Irish pair Adam Mesbur and Nick Fitzgibbon taking on the Amoils team.. They will probably find this one another "Bridge Too Far"
Opposition of Joe Grue Thomas Bessis Brad Moss and Fred Gitleman is tough enough but there is a Swedish guy there too. Don't know much about Leslie Amoils but this team is defending Vanderbilt champs so thats a start. Canada is a little far away for me but the Amoils name has been around since I was in San Francisco Nationals in 2007. Joe Grue was a young  teenager in Minnasota when I worked there in 1998 for a while.

And don't forget the Seniors Congress in Derry

http://cbai.ie/competitions/documents/IBUSeniorsCongress.pdf

Also more sad news ..

Malahide Bridge Club lost the recently returned to bridge Paul Coree on March 15th ... Paul was a bridge player in Bankers Bridge Club / Portmarnock and later Malahide. When I was a budding player I remember targetting Paul Coree and Seamus Boyle as folk I needed to pass out. I never really got to pass out Paul Coree as he stopped playing bridge before I got the chance. From Malahide website it seems that Paul had played most Thursday nights this year with Dan Brilley.

Bob Hughes-Hallet who I played against some Friday nights over the last few years in Malahide passed away on March 17th. Bob was still competitive despite being well past 90 years of age. One was never sure what was in his hand as I think he played Colonial Acol from Argentina. I know there was some Argentinian connection somewhere. Bob was a nice man who knew he was up against it playing against me but it did not stop him scoring well from time to time.
Bob felt sick during a tournament I was directing on February 6th. Wed Simultaneous Pairs and the only thing that bothered him was that he might mess up my movement. I assured him that we just continue with a sitout for the rest of the session. I have not played in Malahide since that week so I never saw Bob again.


May they rest in peace. Funeral detaisl on www.rip.ie

All the best
Eamon Galligan




No comments: