Saturday, April 27, 2019

National Team Finals ..Kelbourne Cup

This weekend 16 teams contest the Kelbourne Cup. To my passing eye there appears to be a large gap in bridge ability.
The possible winners in my view are in no particular order.

EASTERN
WESTERN
NORTH MUNSTER
DUBLIN SOUTH
HOLDERS
RUNNERS UP

Of those 6 WESTERN DUBLIN SOUTH and HOLDERS are my top 3 picks.

The DUBLIN NORTH team could get lucky and storm the event but its going to be hard for them to beat all 6 of my top 6 picks. DUBLIN NORTH last won the Kelbourne in 2006 or so powered by the powerful Dave Terry Pat Kelly imp machine with Paul Delaney holding the reins. However many years later its Dave Terry and some new kids on the block.

......................
In the Intermediate section the online player Murphyslaw emerges from his computer and sets his sights on the National Inter A championships. However Murphyslaw will not be used to real cardplayers so could find the cuteness of the country boys and girls to be too much.
Murphyslaw is assisted by Interprovincial superstar Michael O'Mahony and new Master player Mary Deane and her good friend Rosaleen Murphy.

I am writing this without view of the running scores.

The HOLDERS are a powerful squad with Derek O'Gorman Cian Holland and the mercurial Ciaran Coyne. Tom McCarthy is also a very capable force of nature.

DUBLIN SOUTH could grind it out DELANEY ROCHE DUNNE BRADY look a little on the boring side but they have plenty of national titles along with the added artistry of Sean O'Lubaigh.
Sean once played in TWO pairs events at the same time. A Mens Pairs and an OPEN PAIRS.

WESTERN with KEAVENEY GLYNN SCANNEL and WALSH on board have a chance as
there is plenty of flare  there, However WALSH GLYNN were medium in the CAMROSE and Paul Scannell might not be at his sharpest as I have not seen him around too often recently.
This is my fault as I don't be out on the sea sailing.

...............
Now I look at the running scores

In the Inter B event I see the Carabine sisters back in 11th place of 22 teams.

In the INTER A event Murphyslaw is being held tight at the back of the field.
However one expects O'Mahony will let him off the leash soon

NOW to look at the big one and check out my picks

2 of my 3 picks are in the top 3 after 4 matches but my HOLDERS are after getting a trimming from North Munster 19-1 so are well back for now.

I am afraid WESTERN are after dispatching HOLDERS so that might be the end of HOLDERS for this year. They are 38 VPS out of the lead having already played the leaders WESTERN.

DUBLIN NORTH have just dispatched MLR by  18-2.

In the INTER As Murphy just ran into the famous Martin O'Briens and came out the wrong end.






No comments: