Friday, September 07, 2018

Mixed Trials ..Lady Milne Trials.. New Bridge Season

Good afternoon folks

This month September heralds the start of another bridge season. My own club Malahide Regional starts tonight with its Gala Pairs (members only). We will have 40 tables of various levels from the Great Master Terry to the newer N1 players.
Next weekend comes the Mixed Trials ..  understand 27 pairs will take to the floor and  I think it takes place down in Galway. I think they have some funny format where they qualify 12 pairs for a final round robin. Maybe a 7 round Swiss Pairs ....... so if you want to take part in the final 12 ..you best lose a couple of matches early and take 5 softer matches and cruise into the final 12. However don't go losing to a weaker pair as when you are arriving near the final 12 you need your conquerors to be in the 12 not chasing like yourself. There is no point in being in 7th to 12th after 5 rounds  with the front runners looking for fodder and you getting a trimming and getting booted into the side game. Now maybe folk have come to their senses and come up with a good format.

Also I think this is an IBU trials so why is it clashing with the season opening congress of the NIBU.
Surely the NIBU folks who might want to play should not have to choose between a local major event and travelling to Galway or Dublin or where ever Mixed Trials takes place.

Finally  I made another losing video against the guy who taught me bridge.  I lost by 5 imps so thats another hole gone and he now leads this round by 7-4 with 9.5 being the winner. However  learned two good things today. On 2 different deals I threw the wrong card off dummy and went down.
These wrong cards looked useless but turned out to be guards or promote-able cards. I saved them into my irritating folder. Either hand would get me a victory in the match.

Galligan v Teacher 8 boards

Thanks
Eamon Galligan



No comments: