Thursday, May 30, 2013

Summer in Dublin 2 (The Declan Byrne Memorial)

Shortly the Dublin Bridge event of the summer will begin. If Des Scannell was still with us he would be the favourite as he was a great matchpoint player. Once when playing against him in a team match he saw a squeeze coming after about 3 tricks and knowing he was bazookered he put his cards back in the pocket much to his partners surprise. I knew I had him too. However you did not get much from Des at the bridge table except undertricks. One year we managed to win Bray Swiss Teams with Des playing with Michael McAulliffe and myself and Karel. Des was quite impressed with one result of +2800 when the Sheridans decided to play in 1S XX and did not make enough tricks.
Anyway that was Des one of the stalwart members of the Regent. The Regent has lost several players this year but I would only comment on those I know well. This Summer bonanza in the Regent is in memory of deceased members. 




So see you all there. I will be hunting the cash myself. No doubt the legendary bounty hunter BJOBrien will be there too. Maybe we will see the incoming President Thomas McCormac make an appearance.
..........
I went to the Arklow Cup last Sunday and it was good fun but I suffered a few heavy hits. However got in a few good blows myself. Two lads decided to take a puck at me in 4S and then one of them underled the HEART ACE so I popped HEART KING and was about to lose to the doubleton spade TEN when the lad jumped up with SPADE ACE ... 2 doubled overtricks was all the matchpoints. Michael McGloughlin played well on a few boards but mainly it was the opponents going easy on us.
http://www.cbai.ie/documents/ArklowCup2013.pdf
.............
Bray Bridge Club is celebrating 70 years of playing and they will have a Congress August 31 Sept 01 ..Swiss Teams and Pairs .. Loads of dosh there too for winners .. I have a hrd copy brochure but no soft copy yet. Probably will be up as soon as CBAI have next seasons calendar posted.
More on this Brendan Martin compered event later ...
................................
European Open Bridge Championships in Ostend coming up soon. I see there is an Irish team captained by Grainne Barton entered in the Open Teams starting June 22nd. I must look again and see who else is entered. There is also a Candidates Ladies Team entered.
..................
So I hear Declan has a new suit with big shoulders for the Regent Summer in Dublin event. He will expect to welcome lots of people from all directions there. Starts on June 14th I think. The night before Neil Young plays music in the O2. A voice like the wind ..so my brother says ..
...............



No comments: