Sunday, July 18, 2021

Someone indicated they were watching some Pigot so I checked it out

 Good evening folks 

Last week someone indicated they were watching a bit of Pigot. I wondered what this might be but guessed they were watching the legendary Peter Pigot junior in action. Some research indicated an Ireland team travelled to the semi-finals of the July OBCL bridge event. After 9 16 board matches of Swiss  they emerged into the quarter finals winning 7 drawing 1 and losing 1 match. Winning their quarter final they were in the semi final. However their talisman Pigot junior was missing for some reason. Maybe he deselected himself to allow his bench more experience in the big leagues. Sadly the Connacht foresome were defeated. 

However Galligan decided to play the boards using all match comparisons for the crack. 


And this is where we are after 21 boards ..plus 5 imps ...slightly behind the Irish players at this stage. 

Reaching the semi final of OCBL is a good effort although its not real bridge but the opponents are decent and have promised not to cheat. Boye Broyland was playing and some other well known internationals. The famous Ciaran Coyne has just entered the fray for the Ireland team. 

I am hoping to start a training club/group. Something like the original Ireland Imp Pairs which was packed to rafters at start of COVID but has now been flattened by the bricks and mortar clubs asserting their presence on BBO. I think I counted over 100 CBAI accounts but I could be wrong. 

So if you have any interest in bridge training in bidding play and defense provided through the medium of say 12-15 board tournaments send an email to eamongalligan62@gmail.com indicating same. 

I will generate a list of members and email addresses and see how we go. I am aiming at the Area Master and upwards group but nobody gets turned away. I have lots of hands from various bridge tomes that I gathered up over the COVID. 


No comments: