Monday, March 10, 2014

Schools Bridge

Folks

Last weekend was a busy weekend. Camrose Trophy took place in England..
Results posted at www.ebu.co.uk ... albeit somewhat late but even web admin have to put on
the glad rags for the party and often there is little time and maybe an appeal or two to be held.
However lots of people wondering who won as they thought they saw a large Ireland victory in final round. However Wales struggled against most teams over the weekend and 17.87 was still a small win in context so Ireland 4th place.
Lots of folk commenting on a "poor " Irish performance ..however when these players turn up for duty in Irish trials or Irish nationals they generally leave the rest of the fields struggling for air so maybe less hot air is required. Kibitzers can see 52 cards .. players only see 26 cards in play and maybe 13 cards each in bidding.
..............
Bankers Congress took place at weekend
http://www.bankersbridgeclub.com/Congress14/index.php?pg=results

Most results are available here .. looks like Mike Gowie made this website ..
A Bankers player

...........
Finally down in Galway we had the Schools teams with 29 teams taking part..

http://www.bridgewebs.com/thomasmaccormac/

New players from Gonzaga College seem to have broken the Northern mould but no doubt the
BRAs and Carricks and Bangors will be back next year ..We will see..

We had some quite young players in action ... maybe some of 12 years old ..
I saw a couple of guys who were much younger in the past but they growing up.

I don't know most of the names but I met the slowest player in Ireland over the weekend ..
He only played about 4 boards out of 6 most matches but he could talk for Ireland..
He called me over a few times and said .. "Eamon I played these hands before .."
I said "Nope .. you cannot have .. all you do is talk your opponents to sleep "
He says " Well maybe it was a hand like it I played before .. I definitely had 4 small diamonds on
one of the hands I played before when I was not talking .."

However I must say these under 18 bridge players have incredible manners or maybe it was because the teachers were there .. I suppose if one teacher is 6 feet 10 inches it helps ..

Up in Dublin I am used to a gang of beer swilling hoody clad guys who fire half empty cans across the field at anything that moves ..Even rabbits have been shocked by a beer can ..

So I tried another tack ... Playstation or Xbox ... Nah we don't do those anti social things ..
We go rowing and playing hockey and rugby and fishing ..
We used to have Xbox and Playstation but those now for the bedroom crusaders looking out their
windows at the world passing by.
A few guys even said .. We gave up Xbox and PS4 when we found bridge

............
I wonder how is George Ryan .. I missed him at Holmes Wilson so rang him up and found he had been in hospital .. must ring him later on

Thanks
Eamon Galligan ..



No comments: