Sunday, December 23, 2018

Premier Pairs Master Pairs and Mullingarman

Good afternoon all

Yesterday evening I continued my efforts at proving I should be playing in the Master Pairs. So far the proving is not going so well. Irish Bridge player Jim Cahill created and sponsors the Premier Pairs event for the last 3 years. Ann Tuite puts all the wheels rolling on the ground. They have a committee of about 9 who are mainly players in the event. Eamon does the vugraph with some helpers. Martin Brady does the TD job and Declan Byrne tends the Regent premises and deals thee boards and the myriad of other things that Declan performs for the Regent Bridge Club.
Anyway I made a tourney for my Jack bridge program and despite vugraphing most of the boards and even playing half a board I am struggling at the back of the field with my robot. Even worse I have my EW opponent robot running at 75% to give me the odd trick. However I need more it seems.
So after 42 boards theree I am ..last of the pairs. Even behind Eddie Fitzgerald and Michael MacDonagh. Not just behind but 2.5% behind. I also added in a GB replay of thee hands to flatten some of the scoring a little. Its a great tourney but personally for the vugraph purposes I think it needs to be scored as some kind of imps as folk watching vugraph like to watch imps.
I agree that high class matchpoints is a great form of bridge but I don't like being Paddy Last.
However thanks to Jim Cahill and Anne Tuite for this wonderful event even if it is matchpoints.
Still 105 boards to go so plenty of time for Galligan to rise.
.......................
Meanwhile down in Templeogue a few weeks back CBAI ran the Master Pairs ..
We made a Jack tourney for this as well but after 3 matches and 21 boards Galligan is reduced to middle of thee field. However one hopes to make some progress soon.

Finally some good news .. Galligan defeats Mullingar Man by 9 imps.
Galligan 18 Mullingar Man 9

The link above has the last 8 boards including the final board where Mullingar Man loses the 2 ends of a 2 Heart contract losing 140 and 200 for 8 imps.

No comments: