I have been informed that a new event will be hosted at the Regent Bridge Club in the near future.
Unfortunately most of ye will not be allowed to play. I don't know the exact qualifying details but two of the constraints are something like being a grandmaster and having an active regular partner who is also a grandmaster or good enough to not drag you down from your own high level.
The event will take place over 3 days in the Regent Bridge Club.
I’m writing to tell you about an exciting new sponsored match pointed pairs competition for Ireland’s Premier Pairs Partnerships.
Three competitions will take place before the end of June, the first event to take place in Dublin in the Regent Bridge Club on Friday, 8th April, commencing at 14.00 (on the eve of the Moylan) The dates for the remaining events are 27th May (eve of the Egan) and 10th June.
- Prize Money for each event will be €1,000 with 1st, 2nd and 3rd Prizes being awarded.
- In addition, the leading pair of the three events (provided they are eligible) will receive a generous subsidy towards the World National Open Pairs Competition which takes place in Wroclaw, Poland from 11th September. This pair must have played together on at least two occasions.
- The number of entries will be limited to 14 pairs
- All pairs will play each other with a minimum of 52 boards at each event.
- Visiting International Pairs of required standard may be invited to play in any of the competitions.
- Pairs to be invited have been selected by a committee of some of Ireland’s leading players.
- I have been appointed organiser of the competition
I hope you agree that this Competition will provide a marvellous opportunity for Ireland’s best pairs to meet in a challenging environment and I look forward to your participation.
Full details of competition rules, etc. will be provided on receipt of your confirmation.
There is a plan being formed to show this event on BBO vugraph so those not near to Regent can watch this tough pairs event. Scoring is by matchpoints at the moment but I personally don't know if that is the best system with only 7 tables in operation.
My understanding is the event is being organised by Jim Cahill and Ann Tuite.
I suspect Declan Byrne will not be too far away as he has been a mainstay of the Regent Bridge Club for a good few 10s of years.
I don't know exactly who will take part at the moment but more details later as they come to hand.